Mineral contents of a basket of crops have fallen over the last 50 years based on data kept by Rothamsted and reported in the Mineral_Depletion of Foods 1940 2002, and in wider data on soil mineral levels.Link
The McCarrison Society in conjunction with others are looking at the feasibility of verifying and so reviving hard-won historic observation and knowledge by getting studies done by reputable agricultural research organisations to determine;
- if human excrement composted on the principles set out by Sir Albert Howard will improve; plant yields, health, structure, keeping qualities and flavour,
- if significant changes in mineral, nutrient, and antioxidant status are seen,
- if pathogen issues can be successfully overcome,
- if the increasing use of hormones and medications poses issues,
- and if as appears to be the case odour issues in the processes are minimal,
with the ultimate aim of creating an environment in which those in the sewage industry, agricultural and food sectors as well as Governments might see commercial and environmental possibilities in the technology.
The society wishes to promote this research, and has started to explore the possibilities for furthering this research.